- Category: SATAN, SIN & EVIL
Fall of Man - Temptations & Sin - Adam & Eve
FALL OF MAN - TEMPTATIONS & SIN - ADAM & EVE - Is about how Satan tempted Adam & Eve to disobey God, which prompted various Judgments of God on Adam & Eve for their Sin, and on all of us. This is also the Story of the Love & Mercy of God.
ON THIS PAGE:
- THE GARDEN OF EDEN AND MAN
- THE LORD GOD MADE A WOMAN
- SPIRITUAL WARFARE: THE SERPENT, THE TEMPTATION, AND THE FALL OF MAN (EVE DECEIVED)
- THE TEMPTATION AND THE FALL OF MAN (ADAM DISOBEYS GOD)
- SIN DESIRES TO HAVE YOU
- ADAM HAD SINNED: THEIR EYES WERE OPENED; THEY SOUGHT TO COVER THEIR NAKEDNESS
- ADAM AND THE WOMAN HIDE FROM THE LORD GOD
- A NOTE OF INTEREST: HE THAT DOETH EVIL HATETH THE LIGHT
- ADAM MADE AN EXCUSE: HE BLAMED THE WOMAN
- THE WOMAN MADE AN EXCUSE: SHE BLAMED THE SERPENT
- THE LORD PRONOUNCES JUDGMENT UPON THE SERPENT
- A SUMMARY OF THE JUDGMENT AGAINST THE SERPENT
- THE LORD GOD PRONOUNCES JUDGMENT UPON THE WOMAN
- A SUMMARY OF THE JUDGMENT AGAINST THE WOMAN AND MANKIND
- THE LORD PRONOUNCES JUDGMENT UPON ADAM
- A LIST OF THE JUDGMENTS AGAINST ADAM, MANKIND, AND THE CREATION (CURSES)
- SPIRITUAL WARFARE: A LIST OF HOW THE WOMAN WAS TEMPTED
- A NOTE OF INTEREST: THERE ARE TWO VALUES ON YOUR LIFE
- A NOTE OF INTEREST: "IF I LIVE IN A GOOD ENVIRONMENT, WILL I STOP SINNING?"
- A NOTE OF INTEREST: JESUS WAITS, THE CREATION WAITS, THE SAINTS WAIT
- A NOTE OF INTEREST: WHY DIDN'T THEY EAT OF THE TREE OF LIFE?
- SPIRITUAL WARFARE - TEMPTATIONS, TRIALS, TESTS
- SATAN DECEIVES THE WHOLE WORLD
- CARES, WORRIES, PLEASURES - HOW SATAN DECEIVES
- TESTS - LIFE IS A TEST
- TESTS - WHY DOES GOD TEST US?
- WHY DOES GOD ALLOW EVIL?
- SATAN - NAMES OF SATAN & WHO IS SATAN?
- SATAN DECEIVES MANY
- FALL OF SATAN & VICTORY OF JESUS CHRIST
- END TIMES EVENTS - SIGNS OF THE TIMES - CHECKLIST & CHARTS
- WHY DOES GOD ALLOW EVIL?
- VOICES - HEARING VOICES
- GREAT WHITE THRONE JUDGMENT
- HELL & THE LAKE OF FIRE
- HELL SCRIPTURES & HELL FACTS
- HEAVEN - WHAT IS HEAVEN LIKE?
- NARROW GATE - FEW EVER FIND IT (Matthew 7:13-14)
- FEAR GOD
- REPENTANCE - WHAT IS IT?
- DENY SELF - LUKE 9:23
- OBEDIENCE - IS OBEDIENCE TO JESUS NECESSARY FOR SALVATION?
- . and many more ARTICLES like these
By Amazing Bible
1 - The Garden of Eden and Man
- Genesis 2:8 "And the Lord God planted a Garden Eastward in Eden; And there He put the Man whom He had formed"
And the Lord God took the Man, and put Him into the Garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it."Note that the Lord put Adam where He wanted him to be and gave Him work to do (to work it and to take care of it).Gen 2:15-17 "And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the Garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it. And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die".Adam could eat of every tree, except one. God had given Adam a Command. Sin is disobeying God’s Commandments. God also warned Adam of the consequences of disobeying His Command. The penalty for disobedience was death. Adam’s obedience was going to be Tested. We are to fear God Luke 12:5.
- Proverbs 16:6 For it is written, "by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil." We need to understand that Romans 6:23 "the wages of Sin is Death."
We surmise that Adam feared God and His Judgment. Adam had the choice of believing God’s Word or not believing it. Note that Adam had fellowship with God. No sin separated him from God at this time.
2 - The Lord God Made a Woman
- Genesis 2:18 NIV "The Lord God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him."
- Genesis 2:21-22 "So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and...he took one of the man's ribs and closed up the place with flesh. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man."
- Genesis 1:27 "So God created man in his own image...male and female created he them."
- Genesis 5:2 "He...called their name Adam, in the day when they were created."
- Genesis 1:28 "And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth"
- Genesis 2:25 NIV "The man and his wife were both naked, and they felt no shame."
- The first marriage was instituted by God.
3 - The Serpent, The Temptation, and the Fall of Man (Eve Deceived)
As we examine how Satan deceived Eve, let us be mindful that he uses many of these same devices on us today. He speaks to us in our thoughts, through other people, through situations, through our flesh and emotions, and through unexpected ways to cause us to do contrary to what God would have us do. He lies to us. Sometimes he mixes the truth with lies. He stirs up our emotions. He uses our anger, bitterness, fears, jealousy, envy, love, and even good intentions to persuade us to do contrary to God's will. He uses temptations, persecutions, and threats. He uses the pleasures of this life, the deceitfulness of riches, the lusts of other things, and cares of this world. He uses things that our hearts desire. He uses our ambitions of wanting to get ahead, and to prosper, and get more things. He uses our desire to be someone special. He makes us think we are doing what God wants us to do when, in reality, we are disobeying God. He causes many to believe the Bible is not true and others to believe the Bible does not mean what it really says. He causes many to believe he does not exist. He causes others to greatly underestimate his powers of deception. Because of Satan's lies, we become confused, and the Word of God becomes twisted in our mind. He uses Scripture (in our thoughts) in such a way that we become deceived. He causes us not to hate sin and every evil way. He persuades us to think we will never have to face the Judgment of God. He leads us to believe we will go to heaven when, in reality, we are on our way to hell. He causes us to examine ourselves and our relationship to God by emotions, rather than by the truth of the Gospel. He brings many distractions when we open our Bible to read and to study. He may send people to us that look like true Christians, but are really wolves in sheep’s clothing. And if God sends someone to us, Satan may put in our thoughts reasons to believe the person is not from God at all. Satan convinces us that the thoughts we are having, which prompt us to sin, are really our own thoughts. Other times he persuades us that the thoughts we are having are from God, when they are really from Satan.He causes us to think the ministers of God are really false ministers and the false ministers are really ministers of God. As it is written:
- 2 Corinthians 11:13-15 "For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness."
Satan is a master of deception. As it is written:
- Revelation 12:9 "that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which DECEIVES THE WHOLE WORLD"
Satan is also called the accuser - ref Rev 12:10. Are you one also?In Ezekiel 28:12, we see some references pertaining to Satan. In verse 12, it is written:
- Ezekiel 28:12 "Full of Wisdom, and Perfect in Beauty."
- Ezekiel 28:13 "Thou hast been in Eden the Garden of God." Verse 13 also shows that he was Created."
- Ezekiel 28:17 says, "Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness"
- Isaiah 14:12-14 gives additional information: O LUCIFER, SON OF THE MORNING!...THOU HAST SAID IN THINE HEART…I WILL EXALT MY THRONE ABOVE THE STARS OF GOD...I WILL BE LIKE THE MOST HIGH.
Thus, we note that Satan was FULL OF WISDOM, and PERFECT IN BEAUTY, and had much BRIGHTNESS. Most people greatly underestimate Satan’s craftiness and ability to deceive.
- Genesis 3:1 "Now the serpent (which is also called Satan, the devil, and Lucifer) was more subtil (or crafty) than any beast (or wild animal) of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said (or did God really say), Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?
The serpent, which is also called Satan, now begins a process of causing Eve to be confused, deceived, to doubt what God had said, and to ultimately cause her to disobey God’s command. We hear that same voice today in our thoughts. Also note that the serpent did not use God’s Words in this case, but rather used an evasive and deceptive approach, by saying, "HATH GOD SAID?" Then he used the words, "YE SHALL NOT EAT OF EVERY TREE OF THE GARDEN?" As the serpent spoke, he did not call God, Lord God (or Jehovah God), but addressed Him only as God, perhaps, trying to belittle Jehovah God in her thinking. From the first three words, "HATH GOD SAID," it can be seen that the serpent is an enemy of God. He is attempting to bring doubt toward the Word of God. He is challenging God’s Word. He begins with a question to open the conversation. It is as if he wants you to know something, but it is really the beginning of a deception. It was intended to cause doubt in the woman’s mind. God is not the author of confusion, but Satan is (l Cor 14:33). Thus, we have the beginning of the serpent’s attack, causing the woman to doubt, to be confused, and to be deceived. Eve did not understand the deceptive and crafty ways of the devil. She did not perceive him as a threat. It is the same with most people today. The woman should have turned away, but she did not. She chose to enter into a dialogue with the serpent. That dialogue proved to be a great mistake. She did not realize that the devil was her enemy. The serpent also seems to be implying that God is too demanding and overbearing, and that He does not really love the woman, because she could eat of every tree, except one. Surely, if God really loved her, He would give her everything she wanted.
- Genesis 3:2-3 "And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die."
Note confusion as to what God said seems to be setting in. In her thoughts, she must have begun to question God’s Word. Eve stated certain words, which are not recorded that God said, such as, NEITHER SHALL YE TOUCH IT. Her response to the serpent was a general impression of what she believed God had said, rather than God’s exact words. It may also be noted that she said, "YE SHALL NOT EAT OF IT...LEST YE DIE." God had said, "THOU SHALT SURELY DIE." Her reply, "Lest ye die," does not seem to carry the force that God’s Word had conveyed. Her way of replying may indicate that her belief and trust in God and His Word was like a wave; however, she did fear God’s Judgment. Thus, if Satan was to be successful in causing her to disobey God, he needed to eliminate the fear of God’s Judgment, which is death. Satan had won the first round.
- Genesis 3:4 "And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die."
God had said, "YOU SHALT SURELY DIE." Certainly, God would not cause her to die for simply eating of the fruit of one particular tree. Satan’s words, "YE SHALL NOT" carry a certain amount of force. Satan is directly contradicting God’s Word and undermining the concept of God’s absolute authority. Satan is scoffing at God’s authority. He seems to be suggesting that the woman is confined by her position of believing and trusting in God’s Word. "YE SHALL NOT SURELY DIE," is the same lie that he puts in our thoughts today. Satan puts in our thoughts that we will not perish and that hell is only for bad people. He tells us that we are a pretty good person; therefore, God will surely let us into heaven. Satan may tell us that there is no such place as hell or the lake of fire and surely, a good, loving, and merciful God would never send us there. Satan may tell us that the idea of eternal punishment is just not true. The devil may tell us that it is all right to disobey God. It is all right to sin. It is all right to live any way we want. The devil may tell us we do not have to repent of all sin. We do not need to read the Bible. We do not need to hear and obey the Gospel. We do not need to go to church. Satan may tell us in our thoughts that we will never have to give an account for our sin. We will never have to face the Judgment of a holy God. We do not have to worry. God will never let us perish to the lake of fire. As a result, she must have begun to question God’s Word.
Here is the conflict: it is between the truth of God’s Word and the lies Satan puts in our thoughts. It is between the truth of God’s Word and our emotions. It is between the truth of God’s Word and our fleshly desires. We are in a battle between the TRUTH of God’s Word and the lies of the devil. There is a battle going on in our thoughts between the truth of God’s Word and the traditions of men, pastors, churches, denominations, and our own wrong thinking. Satan is a master at confusing us, deceiving us, and causing us to doubt. It is written, THE DEVIL...IS A LIAR, AND THE FATHER OF IT - John 8:44. In telling the woman, YE SHALL NOT SURELY DIE, the serpent was also insinuating that God lied to her.The serpent had first planted doubt and confusion in the woman’s mind. Now, by directly contradicting God’s Word of truth, he was attempting to remove the fear of God’s Judgment, which was, YOU SHALT SURELY DIE. The woman was going to have to choose which voice she would believe. She was going to have to choose whether she would put her faith in the words of the Lord God, or put her faith in the words of the serpent. We are faced with this same choice. Will we put our faith in the Word of God? or will we put our faith in the wrong thoughts we have in our mind, or hear from blind teachers and others?The serpent knew that if Eve chose to believe his words rather than God’s Word, he will have succeeded. Thus, the serpent continued to do more than just contradict God’s Word. He had to persuade the woman in other ways, also.Satan is called the ACCUSER Rev 12:10. He accuses the brethren, and he accuses God. Next the serpent will attempt to explain to her why God lied. The serpent then said:
- Genesis 3:5 "For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."
Note Satan’s words, "FOR GOD DOTH KNOW." This gives the impression it is all right in the eyes of God and that God misled her for these reasons. Satan then told her, "THAT IN THE DAY YE EAT THEREOF"; by this statement, it appears the serpent is trying to cause her to disobey God sooner rather than later.Then he continued by saying, "THEN YOUR EYES SHALL BE OPENED." The serpent is arousing her curiosity. He is tempting her by trying to make her believe there is something very good and special that will happen to her, if she would just eat of the fruit and disobey God. She must have wondered what it meant that her EYES WOULD BE OPENED.Then Satan continued with the words, "AND YE SHALL BE AS GODS." What a wonderful promise the serpent was giving her, "YE SHALL BE AS GODS." To be a god is to be able to do whatever you want and to give account to no one. To be a god is to be something special, to control your own destiny; certainly, this is something many people want today. It is a form of preaching that abounds today in many churches.Then the serpent adds these words, "knowing Good and Evil." Satan was telling the woman that the path to knowledge is to bypass God’s Word. The woman must have wondered, "What is good and evil?" Indeed, if she would disobey God and do as the devil was tempting her to do, she would know and understand GOOD AND EVIL. She would also die, even though Satan had assured her that she would not die. Satan’s very clever and deceitful words, which were filled with half-truths and lies, were having an effect on the woman. The fear of God’s Judgment had been eliminated. Now, she was being tempted with things that could be greatly desired. She must have wondered, because God knew all this anyway, "Surely, it must be all right."The Serpent had only used about 46 words, which changed the history of the World. Do not underestimate your enemy, the devil. Satan knows just what thoughts to put in our mind to tempt us, thoughts that are just what our heart wants to hear. Matt 16:23 NIV It is written, "Satan! You...Have in mind...the things of men."Now the lusts of the flesh come into play. Food can be a great temptation. The lusts and desires of the flesh and of our eyes can be a great temptation. Satan may tell us in our thoughts, "If it feels all right, then it must be all right." For if we think there is nothing wrong with doing something, then why not do it?
- Genesis 3:6 "And when the woman SAW that the tree wasGOOD FOR FOOD, and that it wasPLEASANT (or pleasing) TO THE EYES, and a tree to beDESIRED TO MAKE ONE WISE (or desirable for gaining wisdom)."
The verse said, item one-THE WOMAN SAW…itemtwo-THAT IT WAS PLEASANT (or pleasing) TO THE EYES (the lusts of the eyes began to prompt her to sin). Sight can be a pathway to lead us to sin. She saw, item three-that the TREE WAS GOOD FOR FOOD. The lusts of the flesh began to prompt her to disobey God. Food can be a pathway to lead us to sin. Satan tempted Jesus regarding food. She saw that the tree was, item four-TO BE DESIRED, item five-TO MAKE ONE WISE.Desire can lead to covetousness, which is sin. The idea that we can’t have something may make us to want it even more. The woman’s fleshly desires must have elevated. Her ungodly desires were prompting her to sin. She began to desire and covet the fruit. God’s Word warns us about being covetous. Indeed, the eyes of man never seem to be satisfied (Prov 27:20). She had the magnificent Garden of Eden to dwell in. She could eat of every tree of the garden, but it wasn’t enough. She did not seem to be thankful for all that she had. She wanted more. We might consider,
- Romans 1:21 "Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, NEITHER WERE thankful; but became vain (or futile) in their imaginations (or thinking), and their foolish heart was darkened."
Therefore, God gave them up. (Rom 1:24). The serpent caused her to look at what she did not have, rather than what she did have.The fear of God’s Judgment had been eliminated. She was no longer afraid of the Judgment of death. She also realized that there should be great benefits in eating this particular fruit. As it might be said by the devil, "There is nothing to lose and everything to gain." It is written:
- Proverbs 14:12 "There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death."
It seemed right to the woman to eat of the fruit. It may be that the woman was now so stirred up about eating the forbidden fruit that she ran to the tree to eat. So the woman, Genesis 3:6 "She took of the Fruit thereof, and did eat" SHE TOOK. SHE...DID EAT. The woman: she saw, she desired, she took, and then, she ate. The woman had sinned: she had disobeyed God.
- 1 Timothy 2:14 "And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression."
At this point, she did not yet seem to be conscious that she had done wrong.
4 - The Temptation and the Fall of Man (Adam Disobeys God)
She now wants her husband to share in what she considered to be her good fortune, her wicked sin. Many times we may do something wrong and then want to get other people also involved. We want other people to see it "our" way.
- Genesis 3:6 "And (she) gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat."
Adam had become the follower of his wife, rather than a follower of the Lord God. Adam, who was the leader, became the follower of the woman. It seemed right to Adam to follow his wife’s word, rather than God’s Word.Sin had now entered into the world. Adam (the man), from which the blood line comes, had sinned.
- Romans 5:12 "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned"
- Romans 5:18-19 "Therefore as by the offence of one Judgment came upon all men to condemnation...For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners"
5 - Sin Desires to Have You: The Wages of Sin is Death
The work of the devil is to cause us to sin. Sin desires to reign over us. Satan desires to rule over us. As it is written:
- Genesis 4:7 NIV "Sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you"
- 2 Peter 2:19 NIV "for a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him."
- Galatians 5:17 "For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would."
Romans 6 gives us a picture of the person who is not submitted to God.
- Romans 6:1 They CONTINUE IN SIN
- Romans 6:2 They live in sin
- Romans 6:6 They SERVE SIN
- Romans 6:12 SIN REIGNS in their body
- Romans 6:12 They OBEY sin or lusts
- Romans 6:13 They YIELD their MEMBERS (or body) as Instruments of Unrighteousness unto Sin
- Romans 6:14 Sin has DOMINION OVER them
- Romans 6:16 They YIELD themselves SERVANTS TO OBEY...SIN
- Romans 6:17 They are SERVANTS OF SIN
- Romans 6:19 They yield their members (or body) SERVANTS TO UNCLEANNESS
- Romans 6:19 They yield their members (or body) SERVANTS TO...INIQUITY UNTO INIQUITY
- Romans 6:23 the result is death. For the WAGES OF SIN IS DEATH
- Romans 6:1 God’s Word also says, in Romans 6, do not CONTINUE IN SIN
- Romans 6:2 Do NOT LIVE ANY LONGER IN SIN
- Romans 6:6 WE SHOULD NOT SERVE SIN
- Romans 6:12 Do not let SIN...REIGN IN YOUR MORTAL BODY
- Romans 6:12 We should NOT OBEY SIN IN THE LUSTS THEREOF
- Romans 6:13 Do NOT YIELD YOUR members (or body) AS INSTRUMENTS OF UNRIGHTEOUSNESS UNTO SIN
- Romans 6:15 GOD FORBID THAT WE SHOULD SIN
- Romans 6:19 YIELD YOUR MEMBERS SERVANTS TO RIGHTEOUSNESS UNTO HOLINESS
- Romans 6:23 FOR THE WAGES OF SIN IS DEATH
6 - Adam had Sinned: Their Eyes Were Opened; They Sought to Cover their Nakedness
- Genesis 3:7 "And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons (or coverings)."
Now they realized that God meant what He said, but it was too late. The serpent had very skillfully beguiled, confused, and deceived the woman. He had used a combination of half-truths and lies. Satan had told her what her heart wanted to hear. Satan knows how to put in our thoughts just what we want to hear. As a result, her own desires had overcome her, and she disobeyed God. Then Adam obeyed his wife, rather than God, by also eating of the fruit. AND THE EYES OF THEM BOTH WERE OPENED. They now understood good and evil. They now saw things differently than they had before; soon they would understand Judgment and the consequences of sin. FOR THE WAGES OF SIN IS DEATH-Rom 6:23.They now knew good but were unable to do it. They now knew evil but were unable to resist it."They knew that they were naked." They now understood things that they did not understand before. Sin makes us naked, and NAKEDNESS is a shame (or shameful) -ref Rev 3:18. They now wanted to cover or hide their shame, their nakedness, their sin."They sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons." The fig leaves are man’s attempt to save himself by a bloodless religion of good works. Fig leaves cannot cleanse us or wash us from our sins. Fig leaves cannot cover the shame of our nakedness. People try to hide their sins.
- Job 31:33,34 NIV It is written, "If I have CONCEALED MY SIN AS MEN DO, by hiding my guilt in my heart because I so feared the crowd and so dreaded the contempt of the clans that I kept silent and would not go outside."
Many people today attempt to cover their sin and nakedness in a variety of ways. They may do this by performing good works or following a certain denomination. Some may try to cover their shame by preaching in pulpits, or auditoriums, or even on the mission field. Their preaching consists of words and stories of men with very little of the Word of God. They have TURNED TO MEANINGLESS TALK. THEY WANT TO BE TEACHERS OF THE LAW (or Bible), BUT THEY DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT-ref 1 Tim 1:6-7 NIV. They do not understand that they do not know what they are talking about, BECAUSE THE DARKNESS they are walking in HAS BLINDED their eyes-ref l John 2:11 NIV. Some try to cover their nakedness by going to church, singing in the choir, or teaching a Sunday school class. What better place to ease the conscience from sin than behind a pulpit or in a lukewarm church that does not preach on sin, Judgment, and eternal damnation. Some try to cover their nakedness by giving money to their church or charitable organizations, or by getting involved in worldly causes that seem right. They may have the praise of men, but they will perish to hell.
Many people today refuse to admit they sin or do wrong. They do not even know they are naked; their covering is deceit. Their 1 Tim 4:2 NIV "Consciences have been seared with a hot iron." They are like trees walking about without understanding-ref Mark 8:24. They do not understand God’s Word. Adam’s intimate relationship with God was broken. Billions of graves testify that when God said, "THOU SHALT SURELY DIE," He meant exactly what He said. Indeed, these prove that God’s Word is true. The man and woman covered their nakedness from each other and then hid from the Lord God. And from that time even until now, people have been speaking and doing evil, hoping that no one will find out. They are still trying to hide from others what they say and what they do.
7 - Adam and the Woman Hide from the Lord God
- Genesis 3:8 "And they HEARD the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden."
Shame, fear, and guilt are often a result of sin. Sin perverts our Judgment and deceives us. As it is written, Rom 7:11 "Sin...Deceived me, and...it slew me." Adam did not see the face of God, but rather "Heard the Voice of…God. Adam and his wife hid." Often, when the light appears, darkness wants to hide. Light exposes darkness. As it is written,
- John 3:20 NIV "Everyone who does evil...will not come into the light for FEAR that his deeds will be exposed.
They were afraid. Adam did not want his nakedness exposed. He did not want his sin exposed. As it is written, Job 31:33 "If I covered my transgressions as Adam, by hiding mine iniquity in my bosom (or heart)." Judgment was about to come upon them, and they did not want to face it. Sin causes us to be more concerned with what happens to us, than the fact that we disobeyed God. Sin can cause us to be more concerned with our appearance and what people think about us, than the fact that we have sinned against a holy God. Adam was more aware of his nakedness, than the fact that he had disobeyed the Lord God. Adam seemed more concerned with the consequences of what he had done, than the sin he had committed. Sin seeks a refuge in hiding, in evasion, in half-truths, in lying, and in deceit. Our flesh wants to sin and do those things that are pleasing to our worldly nature, but we don’t want to pay the price for what we do. Why were Adam and the woman afraid when they were naked? Their nakedness revealed their transgression. We need to understand:
- Hebrews 9:27 "It is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the Judgment."
By hiding, did they think somehow they would escape the Judgment of God? Did they think God could not find them? Did they think He would just go away and forget that they had sinned? Did they think that God had forgotten the words He had spoken? Satan puts in the minds of many people, today, that they will not have to give account for their actions, that they will never be called to the Judgment, and that everything will turn out all right. Remember, there is a battle going on in our thoughts between the TRUTH of God’s Word and the deceiving lies and half-truths of the devil.
8 - A Note of Interest - He that Does Evil Hates the Light
- John 3:19-21 "And this is the condemnation, that light (Jesus) is come into the world, and men "loved" darkness rather than light (Jesus), because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light (to Jesus), lest his deeds should be reproved.(The person that does evil will not come to Jesus, for fear that what he does will be exposed and made known.) But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest (or made known, or plainly seen), that they are wrought in God."
Adam and his wife hid. They were afraid.
9 - Adam Made an Excuse - He Blamed the Woman
- Genesis 3:9-10 "And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou? And he (Adam) said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself."
Adam did not say he was afraid, because he disobeyed God. Adam was afraid, because he was naked. He was naked, because he had disobeyed God. Here is the beginning of bondage to fear. Here is a picture of Adam hiding from God but God seeking for Adam. Here is the beginning of man hiding from God because of sin, but a loving God seeking for man. Adam did not immediately admit he sinned. He only admitted he was naked, which was the result of his sin.
- Genesis 3:11 "And he (the Lord God) said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?
Lord God first addresses the man. He asks the man two questions."Who told thee that thou wast naked?" Adam either chose not to answer the first question, or the Lord God continued on with the second question, coupling them together. The first question leaves only two possibilities. Either someone had told Adam that he was naked, or he had disobeyed God. The second question was, "Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat." Adam needed to be confronted with his sin. Note the directness of the Lord God’s question, "Has thou eaten?" As part of the question, the Lord God also confronted Adam directly with His command not to eat of the tree by, saying, "Whereof I COMMANDED thee that thou shouldest not eat?"Adam initially should not have hid. At this point, he should have immediately confessed his sin with godly sorrow and without excuse. He should have sought the Lord God for His great mercy and forgiveness—but he did not. He did not come humbly to the Lord God in repentance.
- Genesis 3:12 "And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat."
Adam blamed his wife and also blamed God. "The Man said, the woman...she gave me of the Tree." Sin also causes division. Here sin divided Adam from his wife. "The Man said...she gave me." He did not blame himself but sought to lay the blame on someone else. Adam had tried to justify himself by making an excuse. Adam was afraid. Perhaps, he thought that by blaming someone else, he might escape the Judgment of the Lord God. How hard it is, for us to admit we sin and are at fault. How hard it is, for us to assume responsibility for our own sin and disobedience. How hard it is, to be totally open, and transparent, and honest. It seems we always want to plead innocent, even when we are guilty. And if we are guilty, we want to make an excuse, thus, laying the blame for our sin and disobedience on someone or something else.Adam also blamed God. Note the words: "The woman whom THOU GAVEST TO BE WITH ME, SHE GAVE me of the Tree, and I did Eat." Adam seems to be saying, "God, I sinned because "You" gave me the woman who tempted me. If You had not given me the woman, I would not have sinned." Perhaps Adam, in his fear, thought he might escape the Judgment of the Lord God, by showing God it was also His fault. We can envision the serpent in the background, prompting us to accuse others for our sin. Satan is called "The Accuser" (Rev 12:10).
10 - The Woman Made an Excuse - She Blamed the Serpent
- Genesis 3:13 "And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled (or deceived) me, and I did eat."
The Lord God asked the woman, "What is this that thou hast done?" The woman did not answer His question. She did not confess that she had tempted her husband and caused him to sin. She did not confess that she had eaten fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. She seemed to have little or no concern for her guilt, but rather, she wanted to shift the blame. She did not seem to have godly sorrow for what she had done. Rather, without admitting what she had done, she made an excuse and tried to justify herself. She immediately blamed the serpent, saying that he had BEGUILED (or deceived) her. The woman was afraid. Perhaps, she thought, by blaming the serpent, she might escape the Judgment of God. Did she confess her sin, or fall down before a merciful Lord God and ask for forgiveness? Did she repent? She did none of these things. She did not want to take responsibility for what she had done. She ate of the fruit and then tempted her husband, a servant of the Lord God, to sin. Even today people may say, "The devil, he made me do it." We need to remember:
- Luke 18:13-14 "And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote (or beat) upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified"
11 - The Lord God Pronounces Judgment Upon The Serpent
Genesis 3:14-15 "And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life: And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it (or He) shall bruise (or crush) thy head, and thou shalt bruise (or strike) his heel.
The Lord God addresses the serpent first. He said, "Because thou hast done this". When the Lord God brings Judgment, there will be a reason. God knew in advance what happened. He knew what the serpent had done. Now Judgment is pronounced against the serpent. Before God’s Judgment came forth, the serpent was much different in appearance than the serpent we know of today.
- JUDGMENT 1 - THOU ART CURSED ABOVE ALL CATTLE (or livestock), AND ABOVE EVERY BEAST OF THE FIELD (or wild animals).
- JUDGMENT 2- UPON THY BELLY SHALT THOU GO (or you will crawl upon your belly-NIV).
- JUDGMENT 3- DUST SHALT THOU EAT ALL THE DAYS OF THY LIFE. The serpent, which may have been once beautiful and stood upright, is now CURSED ABOVE ALL CATTLE, AND...EVERY BEAST OF THE FIELD. He suffers the great humiliation of crawling upon his belly and eating dust all the days of his life.
- JUDGMENT 4- I WILL PUT ENMITY (or hatred) BETWEEN THEE (you) AND THE WOMAN-Gen 3:15. The Lord God is saying "He" will put hatred between the devil and the woman. The woman represents the nation of Israel, which was to come forth at a much later date-ref Rev 12:1,2,5.
- JUDGMENT 5- AND I WILL PUT ENMITY (or hatred)… BETWEEN…THY SEED (or offspring) AND HER SEED (or offspring). The Lord God is saying that "He" will put hatred between the seed (or offspring) of the devil and the seed (or offspring) of Israel. Satan’s seed could represent all the children of the devil for all future generations. The SEED of the WOMAN can represent all the children of Israel. Nevertheless, the seed of Satan does represent exactly as it is written: the SEED (or offspring) of the serpent (the son of Satan), which is yet to come. The son of Satan will be the Antichrist. HER SEED (the woman’s seed) is the first reference in the Bible to the coming of Messiah. HER SEED is speaking of the Messiah, Whom we now know is Jesus Christ. Indeed, the Antichrist (the son of Satan) will TAKE HIS STAND AGAINST THE PRINCE OF PRINCES (Jesus). YET HE WILL BE DESTROYED, BUT NOT BY HUMAN POWER-Dan 8:25 NIV. Judgment had come upon Adam and the woman in so much as they were naked, yet more Judgments were to come shortly. Before these Judgments are pronounced by the Lord God, verse fifteen demonstrates God’s great mercy, His love, and His compassion. Sin separates us from God. Therefore, in verse fifteen, we have the first announcement of the coming of the Messiah; the first announcement of any possible hope of mankind being restored to God in fellowship. That hope is centered in HER SEED: the Seed of Israel—the Lord Jesus Christ. Thus, before the Judgments were pronounced upon Adam and the woman, God was giving them hope.
- JUDGMENT 6 - IT (the Seed of the woman-Jesus Christ) SHALL BRUISE (or crush) THY HEAD (Satan’s head), AND THOU (Satan) SHALT BRUISE (or strike) HIS HEEL (the heel of the coming Messiah-Jesus Christ). The Lord God is showing the future. He is showing us that the Seed of the woman (Jesus) would triumph over the serpent. He is showing the hatred that there would be between Satan and Israel, and the conflict that there would be between Satan’s offspring and the offspring of Israel. This same conflict also exists between the children of the devil and the children of God (the sons of God by the new birth). While Jesus suffered physical death, He did not suffer defeat. It was prophesied that the MESSIAH (Jesus) would BE CUT OFF-Dan 9:26; and He would be CUT OFF OUT OF THE LAND OF THE LIVING-Isa 53:8. Jesus tells us, I LAY DOWN MY LIFE...NO MAN TAKETH IT FROM ME...I HAVE POWER TO LAY IT DOWN, AND I HAVE POWER TO TAKE IT AGAIN-John 10:17,18. Through the working of Satan, God’s only begotten Son was crucified. As it is written, THOU (Satan) SHALT BRUISE HIS HEEL. (Jesus Christ was crucified.)
But in doing so, Satan himself was defeated. It is written, He (Jesus Christ) SHALL BRUISE (or crush) THY HEAD; for Jesus Christ rose from the dead and became the Firstfruits of the resurrection. Jesus won the victory over sin, death, and Satan. As it is written, THE SON OF GOD WAS MANIFESTED, THAT HE MIGHT DESTROY THE WORKS OF THE DEVIL - l John 3:8. For it is written, THAT THROUGH DEATH HE (Jesus) MIGHT DESTROY HIM THAT HAD THE POWER OF DEATH, THAT IS, THE DEVIL - Hebrews 2:14. Even though the devil was defeated at the cross, he still MASQUERADES AS AN ANGEL OF LIGHT - 2 Cor 11:14 NIV. He still PROWLS AROUND LIKE A ROARING LION LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO DEVOUR-1 Pe 5:8 NIV. Satan still DECEIVETH THE WHOLE WORLD - Rev 12:9.
During the Tribulation, there will be a WAR IN HEAVEN: MICHAEL AND HIS ANGELS FOUGHT AGAINST THE DRAGON (Satan); AND THE DRAGON (Satan) FOUGHT AND HIS ANGELS, AND PREVAILED NOT...AND SATAN...WAS CAST OUT INTO THE EARTH, AND HIS ANGELS WERE CAST OUT WITH HIM. THE ACCUSER OF the BRETHREN was CAST DOWN. WOE TO THE INHABITERS OF THE EARTH AND OF THE SEA! FOR THE DEVIL IS COME DOWN UNTO YOU, HAVING GREAT WRATH, BECAUSE HE KNOWETH THAT HE HATH BUT A SHORT TIME-Rev 12:7-10,12. Following the period called the Tribulation, Jesus Christ returns, and Satan will be BOUND for A THOUSAND YEARS AND CAST...INTO THE BOTTOMLESS PIT...AND AFTER THAT HE MUST BE LOOSED A LITTLE SEASON-Rev 20:2,3. But Satan’s end will come after A LITTLE SEASON...AND THE DEVIL THAT DECEIVED THEM WAS CAST INTO THE LAKE OF FIRE AND BRIMSTONE...AND SHALL BE TORMENTED DAY AND NIGHT FOR EVER AND EVER-Rev 20:3,10. As it is written, "IT" (or He, the Seed of the woman-Jesus Christ) SHALL BRUISE (or crush) THY HEAD (which is Satan).This beginning of what would happen at the cross and many events not yet fulfilled, started with the fall of Adam. Thus, events of perhaps 6000 years ago have a direct bearing on what will happen during the times we are now living in, as well as in the future.
12 - A Summary of the Judgment Against the Serpent
1. The Serpent is cursed above all cattle and all wild animals.
2. The Serpent, upon thy belly shalt thou go.
3. The Serpent shall eat dust all the days of his life.
4. Hatred shall be put between the serpent and Israel.
5. Hatred shall be between the offspring of the serpent and the offspring of Israel, the Messiah.
This may also mean hatred between the children of the devil and the children of God.
6. The Seed of the woman, the Messiah, will crush the serpent’s head.
The Serpent will strike the heel of the Seed of the woman, the Messiah.
13 - The Lord God Pronounces Judgment Upon the Woman
UNTO THE WOMAN HE (the Lord God) SAID, I WILL GREATLY MULTIPLY THY SORROW (itstsabown) AND THY CONCEPTION; IN SORROW (etseb) THOU SHALT BRING FORTH CHILDREN; AND THY DESIRE SHALL BE TO THY HUSBAND, AND HE SHALL RULE OVER THEE-Gen 3:16. Note, the word used originally for the first "sorrow" is different from the original word used for the second "sorrow" in this verse. First, God had pronounced Judgment upon the serpent. Now, He pronounces Judgment upon the woman.
- JUDGMENT 1- I WILL GREATLY MULTIPLY THY SORROW (or worrisomeness; that is, labor, or pain: sorrow, toil). We may say that, in general, the woman’s sorrow will be multiplied, AND THY CONCEPTION. The word "sorrow," as used here, is the same word that is used in Adam’s Judgment, in v. 17-IN SORROW SHALT THOU EAT OF IT.
- JUDGMENT 2- I WILL GREATLY MULTIPLY…THY CONCEPTION (pregnancy). We may note that the woman’s name, "Eve," which is mentioned in v. 20, means "the mother of all living."
- JUDGMENT 3- A woman’s suffering and pain in childbearing will be greatly increased. IN SORROW (pain or painful toil; a pang, whether of body, or mind: grievous, etc.). THOU SHALT BRING FORTH CHILDREN. I WILL GREATLY INCREASE YOUR PAINS IN CHILDBEARING; WITH PAIN YOU WILL GIVE BIRTH TO CHILDREN-Genesis 3:16 NIV. John 16:21 NIV states, A WOMAN GIVING BIRTH TO A CHILD HAS PAIN BECAUSE HER TIME HAS COME. It may be considered that the pain a woman goes through in childbearing may exceed any pain a man would normally have, outside of an injury or sickness. Through this, the Lord God is also showing the woman that she would not die physically, at this time, but would bear children. (Though, spiritually, she was already dead.)
- JUDGMENT 4- THY DESIRE (or longing, or stretching out after) SHALL BE TO THY HUSBAND. In l Cor 7:34 NIV, God’s Word tells us, A MARRIED WOMAN IS CONCERNED ABOUT THE AFFAIRS OF THIS WORLD—HOW SHE CAN PLEASE HER HUSBAND. It may also be noted that the responsibility to PROVIDE...FOR...HIS OWN HOUSE is upon the man-1 Tim 5:8. This again may give the impression that the woman’s desire will be to her husband to provide for the family.
- JUDGMENT 5- HE (thy husband) SHALL RULE OVER THEE. Also 1 Cor 11:3 says, BUT I WOULD HAVE YOU KNOW, THAT THE HEAD OF EVERY MAN IS CHRIST; AND THE HEAD OF THE WOMAN IS THE MAN; AND THE HEAD OF CHRIST IS GOD. Col 3:18 states, WIVES, SUBMIT YOURSELVES UNTO YOUR OWN HUSBANDS, AS IT IS FIT IN THE LORD (or as unto the Lord)-Eph 5:22. FOR THE HUSBAND IS THE HEAD OF THE WIFE, EVEN AS CHRIST IS THE HEAD OF THE CHURCH: AND HE IS THE SAVIOR OF THE BODY. THEREFORE AS THE CHURCH IS SUBJECT UNTO CHRIST, SO LET THE WIVES BE TO THEIR OWN HUSBANDS IN EVERY THING. THIS IS A GREAT MYSTERY: BUT I SPEAK CONCERNING CHRIST AND THE CHURCH-Eph 5:23,24,32.
Consider the foundation of Judgments number two and three. This Judgment came upon the woman because of her sin, yet through it, God is showing us the foundation of our relationship to Christ. The basis for a marriage relationship between the husband and wife is the same type of relationship that the children of God have to Jesus. The desire of a born-again child of God should be to Jesus. In like manner, the woman’s DESIRE SHALL BE TO THY HUSBAND. Note, THE HEAD OF THE WOMAN IS THE MAN. The wife is to SUBMIT to her husband AS UNTO THE LORD. LET THE WIVES BE subject TO THEIR OWN HUSBANDS IN EVERY THING. THY HUSBAND…SHALL RULE OVER THEE. 1 Tim 2:11-14 NIV says, A WOMAN SHOULD LEARN IN QUIETNESS AND FULL SUBMISSION. I DO NOT PERMIT A WOMAN TO TEACH OR TO HAVE AUTHORITYOVER A MAN; SHE MUST BE SILENT. Reason one-FOR ADAM WAS FORMED FIRST, THEN EVE. Reason two-AND ADAM WAS NOT THE ONE DECEIVED; IT WAS THE WOMAN WHO WAS DECEIVED. The Lord God has shown us His order of things and the reasons.
14 - A Summary of the Judgment Against the Woman and Mankind
1. The Woman’s sorrow or worrisomeness will be greatly multiplied.
2. The Woman’s conception will be multiplied.
3. The Woman’s suffering and pain in childbearing will be greatly increased.
4. The Woman’s desire, or longing, or stretching out after, shall be to her husband.
5. The Woman’s husband shall rule over her. The head of the woman is the man.
Wives are to submit to their own husbands as it is fit in the Lord.
15 - The Lord God Pronounces Judgment Upon Adam
- Genesis 3:17-19 "And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow (or through painful toil-NIV) (or worrisomeness, labor, or pain: sorrow, toil) shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread (or by the sweat of your brow you will eat your food-NIV), till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return."
- Genesis 21-24 "Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them. And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life."
- Genesis 3:20 "And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was (or would become) the mother of all living."
The Lord God addresses Adam last. He begins with giving the reasons for the Judgments that are about to come.
- REASON 1 - The Lord God SAID, "BECAUSE THOU HAST HEARKENED UNTO THE VOICE OF THY WIFE"-Genesis 3:17. Adam had chosen to hearken to his wife’s voice instead of obeying God. Many things come upon us to tempt us to disobey God in some way. There are many voices in this world, and there are many voices listed in the Scriptures. THE SHEEP HEAR HIS (the Lord’s) VOICE: AND HE...LEADETH THEM OUT...HE GOETH BEFORE THEM, AND THE SHEEP FOLLOW HIM: FOR THEY KNOW HIS VOICE. AND A STRANGER WILL THEY NOT FOLLOW, BUT WILL FLEE FROM HIM: FOR THEY KNOW NOT THE VOICE OF STRANGERS-John 10:3-5. Adam had chosen to follow the wrong voice. He had chosen the voice of his wife, rather than the voice of the Lord God. He had chosen to follow or to be led by his wife, rather than the Lord God. Satan will often make his voice sound like it is the voice of God. As it is written, AND NO WONDER (or marvel), FOR SATAN HIMSELF MASQUERADES AS AN ANGEL OF LIGHT-2 Cor 11:14 NIV. All voices and all thoughts that we have should be examined in light of the Word of God. The fruit of our thoughts, resulting the voices we hear, needs to be examined. The possible results of obeying the voices and thoughts we have need to be examined. Is the fruit that may result, the fruit of the Spirit of God or the fruit of the devil? Adam chose the wrong voice, and the history of the world was changed.
- REASON 2 - BECAUSE THOU...HAST EATEN OF THE TREE, OF WHICH I COMMANDED THEE, SAYING, THOU SHALT NOT EAT OF IT-Gen 3:17. God’s commandments are meant to be followed. To disobey God’s commandments is sin. It is written, BY ONE MAN’S DISOBEDIENCE - Rom 5:19; and WHEREFORE, AS BY ONE MAN SIN ENTERED INTO THE WORLD - Rom 5:12. Adam had transgressed.
It may be noted that THE LORD GOD SAID UNTO THE SERPENT, BECAUSE THOU HAST DONE THIS. The Lord God had also told Adam the reason for the Judgments that were to come; however, in the woman’s case, no such statement was made. The Lord God did not say to the woman, "THOU SHALT NOT EAT OF IT." That original command was given to the man-ref Gen 2:17.Note, the first Judgment came upon the serpent that tempted the woman. The second Judgment came upon the woman that tempted the man. The third Judgment came upon the man.THE JUDGMENT WAS BY ONE (Adam) TO CONDEMNATION; THE JUDGMENT FOLLOWED ONE SIN AND BROUGHT CONDEMNATION - Romans 5:16 KJV, NIV. THEREFORE AS BY THE OFFENSE (or trespass) OF ONE, JUDGMENT CAME UPON ALL MEN - Romans 5:18.
- JUDGMENT 1 - CURSED IS THE GROUND FOR THY SAKE - Gen 3:17. Because of Adam’s sin, the ground, even the creature (or creation), became cursed. The earth, the ground, and the fields no longer bring forth the increase they once did. The seed no longer prospers as it once did. The corn no longer gives its increase as it once did. The fruit on the fruit tree is no longer multiplied as it once was. The flowers no longer appear on the earth as they once did. The creation is subjected to decay.
Nevertheless, the curse will come off when Jesus returns, and the sons of God (the saints) return with Him.
- Romans 8:19-22 "For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God (the creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed-NIV). For the creature (or creation) was made subject to (or subjected to) vanity, not willingly (or not by its own choice-NIV), but by reason of him (the Lord God) who hath subjected the same in hope, Because the creature itself (or creation) also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption (the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay-NIV) into the glorious liberty (or freedom) of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now."
From the time of the curse, the whole creation (the people, the animals, the trees and plants, etc.), has been groaning and travailing in pain, sorrow, suffering, sickness, and decay together until now-ref Romans 8:19-22. Since this curse was pronounced by the Lord God, even until now, there has been sickness, sorrow, suffering, fear, guilt, and death. Before the curse, there was no blindness, dimness of vision, deafness, lameness, dumbness, or stammering.
- JUDGMENT 2 - IN SORROW (or through painful toil-NIV, or worrisomeness; labor, or pain: sorrow, toil) Gen 3:17 "Shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life."
Earning or making a living from the cursed ground will be through painful and exhaustive labor, sorrow, worry, and frustration. Life is difficult since the curse. Men work and work in SORROW, and through painful toil they eat and try to get ahead. In many countries of the world today, millions of people work hard, yet do not have enough to eat.
- JUDGMENT 3 -THORNS ALSO AND THISTLES SHALL IT BRING FORTH TO THEE-Gen 3:18. There are all kinds of thorns on bushes, trees, and growing up amongst the grass. This seems to indicate, prior to God’s Judgment on Adam for sin, the thorns and thistles did not exist. During the Millennium, when Jesus Christ will reign as King of kings and Lord of lords, it is written:
Isa 55:13 "Instead of the thorn shall come up the fir tree, and instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle tree."
- JUDGMENT 4-THOU SHALT EAT THE HERB (or the plants) OF THE FIELD-Gen 3:18.
- JUDGMENT 5- IN THE SWEAT OF THY FACE (or by the sweat of your brow) SHALT THOU EAT BREAD (or you will eat your food)-Gen 3:19. Before the curse, Adam had the job of working and taking care of the Garden of Eden. This may have been a sweet and rewarding work as the ground brought forth its increase; however, after the curse, the work of Adam was to be much more difficult. As it is written, IN THE SWEAT OF THY FACE SHALT THOU EAT. The Lord God is pronouncing a Judgment of, in sweat and hard work, weariness and much labor, you will eat your food. Lamech shows how difficult it was with the curse on the ground, in Gen 5:28,29-LAMECH...BEGAT A SON: AND HE CALLED HIS NAME NOAH, SAYING, THIS SAME SHALL COMFORT US CONCERNING OUR WORK AND TOIL OF OUR HANDS, BECAUSE OF THE GROUND WHICH THE LORD HATH CURSED. Indeed, a difficult life was ahead. It seems men are often complaining about their work and trying to get around this curse, by working less yet making more. It is written, THE EYES OF MEN ARE NEVER SATISFIED-Prov 27:20. Yet we are to BE CONTENT WITH our WAGES-John 3:14.
- JUDGMENT 6- Physical death. TILL THOU RETURN UNTO THE GROUND; FOR OUT OF IT WAST THOU TAKEN (or since from it you were taken): FOR DUST THOU ART, AND UNTO DUST SHALT THOU RETURN-Gen 3:19.
There are two types of death. The first death is physical. IT IS APPOINTED UNTO MEN ONCE TO DIE, BUT AFTER THIS THE JUDGMENT-Hebrews 9:27. Because of Adam’s sin, God had pronounced UNTO DUST SHALT THOU RETURN. Adam did die and return to dust, just as God said: ADAM LIVED...NINE HUNDRED AND THIRTY YEARS: AND HE DIED-Gen 5:5. It is further written, WE OURSELVES GROAN WITHIN OURSELVES, WAITING (we wait eagerly) FOR THE ADOPTION, TO WIT, THE REDEMPTION OF OUR BODY-Romans 8:23. Since that time, billions of graves testify to the truth of God’s Word.
- JUDGMENT 7 - Death passed upon all men. The second type of death is spiritual. WHEREFORE, AS BY ONE MAN SIN ENTERED INTO THE WORLD, AND DEATH BY SIN; AND SO DEATH PASSED UPON ALL MEN, FOR THAT ALL HAVE SINNED…DEATH REIGNED FROM ADAM TO MOSES, EVEN OVER THEM THAT HAD NOT SINNED AFTER THE SIMILITUDE (or likeness) OF ADAM’S TRANSGRESSION...FOR...BY ONE MAN’S OFFENSE DEATH REIGNED BY ONE...THEREFORE AS BY THE OFFENSE OF ONE JUDGMENT CAME UPON ALL MEN TO CONDEMNATION...FOR AS BY ONE MAN’S DISOBEDIENCE MANY WERE MADE SINNERS...SIN HATH REIGNED UNTO DEATH - Romans 5:12,14,17-19,21. FOR AS IN ADAM ALL DIE, EVEN SO "IN" CHRIST SHALL ALL BE MADE ALIVE-1 Cor 15:22. FOR THE WAGES OF SIN IS DEATH; BUT THE GIFT OF GOD IS ETERNAL LIFE THROUGH JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD-Romans 6:23.
It might be noted that Adam’s name is absent from the list of names in chapter 11 of Hebrews, the faith chapter.|The second type of death is eternal separation from God. This includes being cast into the lake of fire at the great white throne Judgment, if a person does not receive forgiveness of their sins through Jesus Christ. The Lord God had warned Adam not to eat of the TREE OF THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOOD AND EVIL…FOR IN THE DAY THAT THOU EATEST THEREOF THOU SHALT SURELY DIE (Gen 2:17). Fellowship with God had now been broken. Later on, physical death would follow. It also referred to a spiritual death. It is written:
- Revelation 20:11,12,14-15 "And I saw a Great White Throne...And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the Book of Life...death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the SECOND DEATH. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the Lake of Fire."
We are all spiritually dead apart from Christ; however, the Lord God did not leave mankind without hope.The Lord God had pronounced the Judgment, Gen 3:19 NIV "To dust you will Return"Then in verse 20, ADAM CALLED HIS WIFE’S NAME EVE; BECAUSE SHE WAS THE MOTHER OF ALL LIVING. This appears to be an act of faith, on the part of Adam, regarding what the Lord God had said in verses 15 and 16. In verse 15, we have a picture of the coming of the Messiah. In verse 16, the Lord God had said to the woman, THOU SHALT BRING FORTH CHILDREN. Adam chose to believe God’s Word that children would come forth. He reacted to this by calling his wife’s name, Eve (the mother of all living). He seems to also have believed the promise of the coming victory over the serpent. Following this response of faith in what the Lord God said, it appears, the Lord God responded by killing an animal or animals and using the skins for clothing; as it is written:
- Genesis 3:21 "Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats (or garments) of skins, and clothed them."
Adam and the woman had sewn fig leaves together to cover their physical nakedness. Their nakedness was symbolic of their spiritual condition; they were no longer clothed with the righteousness of God. This, however, was not acceptable as blood had to be shed. Therefore, the Lord God made garments from the skin of an animal to cover their nakedness, which had resulted from sin. It may well have been the blood of a lamb, representing the Messiah to come.Prior to the Lord God pronouncing the Judgments upon the woman and Adam, He had shown His great mercy with the first prophecy of the coming of the Messiah. Through the Messiah, Jesus Christ, God has provided us a way to be reconciled back to Himself. Jesus shed His blood at Calvary. As it is written, ALMOST ALL THINGS ARE BY THE LAW PURGED WITH BLOOD; AND WITHOUT SHEDDING OF BLOOD IS NO REMISSION. HE (Jesus) APPEARED TO PUT AWAY SIN BY THE SACRIFICE OF HIMSELF-Hebrews 9:22,26. Again it is written, BY HIS OWN BLOOD (the blood of Jesus, Who is also called the Lamb of God-ref John 1:36) HE ENTERED IN ONCE INTO THE HOLY PLACE, HAVING OBTAINED ETERNAL REDEMPTION FOR US-Hebrews 9:12.Because Adam sinned, he would now be eternally separated from God; yet the Lord God had made a way for mankind to be reconciled back to Himself. That way was through the Messiah, Jesus Christ, Who would one day come, and of Whom it was prophesied that He would BRUISE the serpent’s HEAD. Thus, from this point until the first coming of Jesus, the hope of the world to escape eternal damnation was looking forward to and believing that, one day, the Messiah would come. As a result, some people would live by faith and obey God’s commandments, but most would not believe, neither would they obey God’s commandments. It is the same today.
- JUDGMENT 8 - Adam now loses the right to eat of the TREE OF LIFE. AND THE LORD GOD SAID, BEHOLD, THE MAN IS BECOME AS ONE OF US, TO KNOW GOOD AND EVIL: AND NOW, LEST HE PUT FORTH HIS HAND, AND TAKE ALSO OF THE TREE OF LIFE, AND EAT, AND LIVE FOR EVER: THEREFORE THE LORD GOD SENT HIM FORTH FROM THE GARDEN OF EDEN, TO TILL THE GROUND FROM WHENCE HE WAS TAKEN-Gen 3:22-23. The Lord God PLACED AT THE EAST OF THE GARDEN OF EDEN CHERUBIMS, AND A FLAMING SWORD WHICH TURNED EVERY WAY, TO KEEP THE WAY OF THE TREE OF LIFE-Gen 3:24. Yet in His great mercy, the Lord God made it possible to one day eat of the TREE OF LIFE, through believing in Jesus Christ. It is written, TO HIM THAT OVERCOMETH WILL I GIVE TO EAT OF THE TREE OF LIFE-Rev 2:7. WHO IS HE THAT OVERCOMETH THE WORLD, BUT HE THAT BELIEVETH THAT JESUS IS THE SON OF GOD?-1 John 5:5. It may be said that the flaming sword is symbolic of the holiness of God.
- JUDGMENT 9 - SO HE (the Lord God) DROVE OUT THE MAN-Gen 3:24. ADAM...WAS THE SON OF GOD-John 3:38. The LORD GOD had put Adam INTO THE GARDEN OF EDEN TO DRESS IT AND TO KEEP IT-Gen 2:15. The Lord God had brought EVERY BEAST OF THE FIELD, AND EVERY FOWL OF THE AIR to Adam, AND WHATSOEVER ADAM CALLED EVERY LIVING CREATURE, THAT WAS THE NAME THEREOF-Gen 2:19. Adam had fellowship with God. But now, we see the tragic results of sin, the tragic results of disobeying God. Adam was SENT...FROM THE GARDEN OF EDEN. He was driven out; his fellowship with God was broken.
16 - A List of the Judgments Against Adam, Mankind, and the Creation (Curses)
1. The ground is cursed: the creation is subjected to the bondage of decay.
2. Through painful toil or worrisomeness, you will eat of the ground.
3. The ground will produce thorns and thistles for you.
4. You will eat the plants of the field.
5. By the sweat of your brow, you will eat your food.
6. You will return to the ground; you will die a physical death.
7. Death passed upon all men spiritually. Sin entered into the world.
Sin passed upon all men. Judgment came upon all men to condemnation.
8. Adam and all mankind lost the right to the tree of life.
9. Adam was driven out from the presence of God. Mankind was separated from God.
17 - A List of How the Woman was Tempted
The Serpent (Satan) Cause or Tempted Eve to:
He caused or tempted her to be confused about what God’s Word said.He caused or tempted her to doubt what God’s Word said.He caused or tempted her to be deceived about what God’s Word said.He caused or tempted her to be nervous.He caused or tempted her not to remember accurately what God’s Word said.He caused or tempted her to be convinced that her false impression of what God had said was trueHe caused or tempted her to challenge God’s Word in her mind.He tried to cause her to think the Lord God was less than what He really is.He, Satan, caused or tempted her to think he was her friend and wanted to help her.He caused or tempted her to greatly underestimate the serpent.He caused or tempted her to want to consider what she was hearing and to think on those things.He caused or tempted her to think that God was too demanding and overbearing.As a result, he caused or tempted her to think God was not her friend and that He didn’t love her.He caused or tempted her to think God would not give her the things she wanted.He caused or tempted her to be like a wave in her faith and belief of what God’s Word had said.The serpent caused or tempted her to choose between his word and the Lord God’s Word.
She had to choose which she would put her faith in.He caused or tempted her to believe she would not be Judged and die.He caused or tempted her to believe that eternal punishment would not result from disobeying God.
He caused or tempted her to believe God’s authority was not absolute.He caused or tempted her to scoff at God’s Word and authority.He caused or tempted her to believe she was not bound by God’s Word.He caused or tempted her to think she did not have to believe, trust, and obey God’s Word.He caused or tempted her to believe that she would be doing nothing wrong by disobeying God.He caused or tempted her to believe that the truth was a lie and that lies were really the truth.He caused or tempted her to believe that she should not delay in eating the forbidden fruit.He caused or tempted the woman’s curiosity to be aroused and to wonder about certain things.He caused or tempted her to believe, by eating the forbidden fruit, something very good and wonderful would happen to her.He caused or tempted her to greatly desire the things that he had promised her.He caused or tempted her to want to be as a god, to be something very special,
to have control over her own life.He caused or tempted her to believe that the path to knowledge was
in doing what God had said not to do.He caused or tempted her to see the forbidden fruit.He caused or tempted her to note that it was pleasant or pleasing to the eyes.He caused or tempted her to consider that it was good for food.He caused or tempted her to desire the forbidden fruit.He caused or tempted her to want to be wise.
He caused or tempted her to begin to covet what she didn’t have.
He caused or tempted her fleshly emotions to be greatly elevated.
He caused or tempted her to become unthankful for all she had.
He caused or tempted her to look at what she did not have, rather than what she did have.
She had the right to eat of every tree of the garden, but she wasn’t satisfied.
He caused or tempted her to want even more.
He caused or tempted her to take and hold the fruit. Then she ate.
She was still not aware that she had done wrong.
He caused or tempted her to want her husband to share in her good fortune. She tempted her husband. He esteemed obeying his wife as a better thing to do than obeying God.
The serpent accomplished this with approximately 46 words, as given in the KJV Bible.
- 1 Cor 10:13 "There hath no temptation taken (or seized) YOU but such as is COMMON TO MAN."
18 - A Note of Interest: There are Two Values on Your Life
Do we truly understand? We have two values on our life: one is how Satan values us, and the other is how God values us. If we will turn from following Jesus, Satan will gladly give us certain things. Satan promised to give Jesus ALL THE KINGDOMS OF THE WORLD, AND THE GLORY OF THEM-Matt 4:8,9. What does your heart desire? The woman desired to eat of the forbidden fruit. She wanted her eyes to be opened. She wanted to know certain things. She wanted to be as a god. She wanted to be wise. She got what she wanted, but she also got death. Satan told her she would receive all these things, but he lied to her about not dying. Satan does the same with people today. They sell their soul for what their heart desires, but receive eternal death. The serpent may promise them peace in the world, or peace in their family, if they will just disobey God. He tells them, they will not surely perish. He may promise them money, or certain things their heart desires, such as a car, a house, a vacation, a girlfriend, a boyfriend, acceptance from others, or a better job. What does your heart desire? The serpent may give it to you—if you will just disobey God. Be sure of this: the serpent will tell you, you will NOT SURELY DIE.Esau sold his birthright for a bowl of pottage (lentil stew)-ref Gen 25:29-34; 27:33-36. Afterward, he wanted it back and cried, but it did him no good. Adam wanted to please his wife more than God, so he did what his wife suggested and disobeyed God. What regret he must have had afterward, but it was too late. Satan kindled within the woman a desire for something. Satan knows how to kindle within you a desire for certain things. Then, the serpent lied to the woman. He told her, she would NOT SURELY DIE. The threat of God’s eternal Judgment was gone. Her emotions were elevated to desire certain things that the serpent had put into her heart. Satan knows the THINGS THAT BE OF MEN-Mark 8:33. He knows what your heart desires. He also knows how to elevate your emotions to want those desires so badly, that you might do anything to get them, including disobeying God. Which voice will you follow? Satan’s value on you is to give you certain worldly things in exchange for your soul. Satan doesn’t love you. He hates you. The most he can promise you, for eternity, is eternal death. The bottom line is, Satan really wants to destroy you.God’s value on you is to give you eternal life. God’s value on you is so great, He sent His only begotten Son to die a horrible death on the cross to pay for your sins.Who do you want to follow? Do you want to follow the serpent that may place a value on you of a few worldly things and then perish, even though you may think you will not? Or would you rather follow the One, Who loves you so much, He gave His life for you at Calvary so that you might have eternal life? God values you tremendously. Who do you value the most? What do you value the most? Do you value having many things, now, more than you value eternal life?
19 - If I Live in a Good Environment, Will I Stop Sinning?
It may be noted that in the generation we are currently living, some might say that people behave certain ways because of their bad environment; if they had a good environment, they would not sin or do evil. Adam and the woman had an ideal environment, yet it did not stop them from sinning. It did not stop them from disobeying God. They had the entire Garden of Eden, yet they wanted even more.Have you not read, Prov 27:20 "The eyes of man are never satisfied The richest of men seem to want even more and may steal, lie, cheat, and even kill to get more. We need to be reminded:
- Jeremiah 17:9 "The Heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked(or beyond cure): who can know it?"
20 - Jesus Waits, the Creation Waits, the Saints Wait
The Bridegroom (Jesus) is waiting for the bride (the saints) to join Him. We may say, heaven is waiting for Jesus to come and take His bride. The creation is also waiting for the sons of God (the saints) to be revealed, so it will no longer be held in bondage to decay. The saints wait for their adoption as sons and the redemption of their bodies.
- James 5:7 "the husbandman (Jesus) waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth (the bride of Christ, the sons of God, the saints), and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain.
- Romans 8:19 NIV "The CREATION waits in eager expectation for the Sons of God to be Revealed."
A person might ask, "Why?" Because:
- Romans 8:21 NIV "The Creation itself will be liberated (or delivered) from its bondage to decay (or corruption) and brough into the Glorious Freedom (or liberty) of the children of God."
- Romans 8:23 NIV "We ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly (or within ourselves) as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies."
- James 5:8 "Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh."
21 - A Note of Interest - Why Didn't They Eat of the Tree of Life?
The Lord God had told Adam he could eat of every tree of the garden freely; this also included the tree of life. If a person would take of the tree of life and eat, they would live forever. Only of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil was he commanded not to eat. Why then did the woman and Adam choose to eat of the forbidden fruit and not the tree of life? (Note, it is never recorded that they ate of the tree of life, but rather the Lord God sent him forth from the garden Gen 3:22 "Lest He...take also of the Tree of Life, and Eat, and Live Forever")
"ADAM & EVE" FALL OF MAN - TEMPTATIONS & SIN
Copyright 2000 BibleDesk and Gospel Truth Publishing
"ADAM & EVE" FALL OF MAN TEMPTATIONS & SIN -
MAY BE COPIED WITH THE FOLLOWING RESTRICTIONS—
IT MUST BE REPRODUCED IN ITS ENTIRETY AND MAY NOT BE SOLD OR USED FOR PROFIT IN ANY WAY
ALL GRAPHICS ARE COPYRIGHT © SO4J-TV ® SO4J.com
THIS COPYRIGHT INFORMATION MUST BE INCLUDED